Monday, July 25, 2005

Joe Seehusen Resigns

August 25, 2005

To: Michael Dixon, Chair
Michael Colley, Chair, Employment Committee
CC: LNC
CC: State Chairs
CC: HQ Staff

I am resigning my position as Executive Director of the Libertarian National Committee, Inc. My last day will be Friday August 5, 2005. I am appreciative of the confidence the board has shown in my work by its 11 to 3 vote at the Dallas 2005 board meeting to renew my contract. Thank you. I am honored to have served the board and to have played a leadership role in the parties turnaround. Under my administration the LNC has:

1. Gone from financial insolvency to solvency
2. Made UMP payments on time and in full
3. Increased membership after four years of decline
4. Built a powerhouse web site which has eclipsed both the Republican and Democratic parties as measured by web traffic
5. Entered the arena of legislative action at the national level
6. Significantly lowered overall costs including payroll and vendors
7. Issued a major position paper offering the American people a viable exit strategy for the war in Iraq
8. Rebuilt the back office in accounting and database
9. Personally raised significant donations to the party from major donors as Executive Director
10. Developed an outreach program including CPAC, Freedom Fest, Heritage Resource Bank and National Taxpayers Union
11. Successfully promoted the Libertarian brand in political and activist circles in Washington
12. Raised the overall profile of the Libertarian Party to represent a credible alternative to the Republican and Democratic Parties

Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas and former Libertarian Party Presidential Candidate) said “Joe Seehusen has raised the visibility of the Party on Capitol Hill, where voices for liberty are in short supply.”

My thanks go to the champions on my staff, who are the people that stand tall and do the work, namely Robert Kraus, Jessica Neno Wilson, Shane Cory, Sam New, J. Daniel Cloud, Chris Thorman, Matt Dailey, Gladis Douwopka, Susan Dickson and Rod Severson.

My thanks also goes to the LNC members, past and present, for their thoughtful leadership in moving this party forward namely; Michael Colley, George Squyres, Bob Sullentrup, Ken Bisson, Emily Salvette, Austin Hough, Rick McGinnis, Jeremy Keil, Chris Farris, Bill Hall and Ed Hoch.

And special thanks to former Chair, Geoff Neale, for the role he played as the chief architect of the party’s turnaround.

With Best Regards,
Joe Seehusen
Executive Director
Libertarian National Committee, Inc.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!

Now we need to have Shane Cory resign too. He has destroyed our web site -- I don't think most people realize how much he has undermined the party with the way he has deleted things from the web site.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But everybody needs to be alert. Do not believe the things that Seehusen has published. I suspect hee quit because he has damaged the party and the damage is now becoming obvious.

FEC problems, the inability to get financial reports, declining donations and pledges, declining membership (don't believe his reports that membership is growing), alienating members with IES, an inexperienced staff, a demolished web site...I can understand why he is resigning.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, Greg, but you seem to be really angry about a lot of things. It's kind of hard to find the facts behind the stuff you post here when it's surrounded by such strong language.

I have no idea about any of the problems you've listed here, but since I only have things like the numbers for increasing membership that the HQ staff have published, where is the information refuting it published at? I'm happy to be informed, I just need some better ideas on where I can GET informed about the kinds of accusations you are levying.

1:36 PM  
Blogger genushaha said...

The legacy Joe Seehusen leaves us is that under his watch, the LP finally engaged the public policy debate in Washington DC. The importance of this cannot be understated. The purpose of a political party is to change public policy, and Joe was the first guy we ever hired who truly got it.

The number one criterion we need to look at when hiring his replacement is to continue the outreach programs he and his staff instituted.

In the long view of history, no one is ever going to remember databases or website redesigns or any other internal mechanics. What is going to be remembered is whether or not the basic purpose of the organization was advanced. On that score, Joe can leave the scene assured in the knowledge of a job well done.

I have also gotten to know Joe as a person, and he really is a beautiful human being. He is always upbeat, to the point where I've never caught him saying a bad word about anybody. He has engaged others around him with love and joy in his heart for both the cause of Liberty and his fellows. His attitude has served us very well. I wish him well in all his future endeavors, and for our sake I hope they remain within the Libertarian movement.

2:01 PM  
Blogger sage woodruff said...

Greg D.

I have a deep interest in the things you are saying about Joe Seehusen. I too believe some things must be done in the LP. Is there any way I can contact you so I can pick your brain about Joe? I just want some more info.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home